Configuration Management (CM) is an Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) IT Service Management (ITSM) process that tracks all of the individual Configuration Items (CI) in an IT system which may be as simple as a single server, or as complex as the entire IT department.
Universal Configuration Management Database (UCMDB) is a configuration management tool that helps an enterprise to oversee and manage the CM process. It utilizes Configuration Items (CIs) to manage the process. A CI is an IT asset or a combination of IT assets that may depend and have relationships with other IT processes. A CI has attributes that may be hierarchical andrelationships that will be assigned by the configuration manager in the CM database. Several key features of UCMDB are:
- Discovery: Discovers applications, machines, network devices.
- Data federation:
- Topology mapping: The relationships between hardware items, applications and users can be clearly defined and mapped.
- Impact analysis mapping: By defining relationships between business processes, applications and users UCMDB provides clear-cut impact analysis. It defines how one entity can affect one or more entities.
How UCMDB can help your organization:
- Bottom-up approach: UCMDB uses a bottom up approach while reporting the impact analysis. It discovers the applications that include Databases, J2EE processes, network devices, workstations and servers. It then generates reports about how one single application might affect an entire business process.
- Provides complete visibility across multiple tiers to business services: UCMDB can be used to dynamically map applications, compliance and process views. It provides topology maps with various patterns along with on-the-fly views.
- Impact Analysis: Allows the enterprise to simulate the impact of a change before the actual implementation.
- Highly customizable options along with a Web based UI
- Can be integrated with HP’s Asset Manager and Service Manager using Connect-It
How can RevealIT help?
- Solid understanding of ITIL and ITSM process: RevealIT consultants can analyze the reports generated by UCMDB and understand the impact analysis to a greater depth.
- Planning and identification: We make sure that the number of CI categories used to track in UCMDB are efficiently managed and hence increase the scope of UCMDB. We then ensure these CI categories can extract the maximum amount of information and hence improving the depth of UCMDB. During the planning phase we consider strategies, policies, objectives, roles and responsibilities, the configuration management processes, relationships with other processes and third parties of the company along with the number of CI categories to track in the CMDB determines the scope and the depth.
- Ensure absolute CI control: We ensure that only authorized and identifiable CIs are accepted and recorded from receipt to disposal. We provide complete assurance that no CI is added, modified, replaced or removed without the appropriate approved CI Change Requests (CRs)
- Monitoring CI status: We monitor CI’s throughout their life cycle and determine the usefulness of the CI at various stages. This ensures high productivity of a CI. Various CI phases classifications used by RevealIT are under test, live, under repair, withdrawn or for disposal.
- Reporting: We provide extensive reports that include the reviews and audits that verify the physical existence of CIs, We verify that CIs are correctly recorded in the UCMDB.
- Integrate UCMDB seamlessly with Asset Manager and Service Manager: Our consultants have expertise in Asset Manager, Service Manager and Connect-It along with UCMDB. This allows us to integrate the company’s configuration management database to reporting tools such as Asset Manager and Service Manager using an EAI such as Connect-It.
- End user training